Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Berries and cherries

Hi Everyone -

**Aliens have attacked this post and added numbers for reasons I can not explain - please disregard - hopefully they will go away on the next post. **

So, it occurred to me that I haven't heard much about Project Runway  in the blog world.  I for one am loving this season!  I think the contestants are talented and the challenges have been good.  I loved the party store challenge!  I'm also loving that the show is running 90 minutes.  I'm was happy to see Micheal win last week and miss braggy brag not.....meow!

Christine of Once Upon a Quilt mentioned that she was starting a scrap Double Wedding Ring quilt and wanted to use 30's.  I had just finished my 30's challenge and I sent her some leftovers and a small package of pre-cut squares that I had on hand.  Christine sent me this in return!

I had mentioned an interest in it a while back because it contains lovely grandmothers flower garden blocks.  I love these vintage fabrics!
As part of a challenge, she had to use something she had, so for the back she used signature blocks.  Double win!  I LOVE signature quilts and have made several.  These are great blocks!


I've been enjoying it on my table, thanks Christine!


So, where are the berries and cherries??

Crispy Quilts did a tutorial recently with great photos.  There are many ways to make these, whatever works for you, is for you.

Here is a step out of how I make my berries.   I'm not sure where I learned it, but I've been doing it this way for a long, long time.  Once I was cutting out the circles on an airplane and the man next me asked what I was doing.  I replied: "Making a Quilt", he didn't talk to me anymore....

First I gather together circle making items.  The green plastic templates are great, but I've used spools or anything that is perfectly round.


Using a mechanical pencil, I draw the circles on light card stock.  I pull these out of magazines - free is always good ;)


I use kids scissors for cutting them out.  The thicker blades make good edges.  One hint, move the paper, not your scissors, it really does work.


I cut out several thicknesses of fabric at a time.  I eyeball a scant 1/4 inch around the paper rounds.


I sew a running stitch around the circle.  


I insert the paper circle and cinch it evenly around.  I bring my thread up on the the right side of the fabric and knot off.  This helps me not loose tension at the end.


In no time at all, you have a nice pile of perfect little berries.  The next step is to press and starch them.  This is what I like:


I keep the papers in my berries until I sew them on my project.  When I'm ready, I pop out the paper (you can pinch it or fold it because these are "one use" papers) and pin or baste them down.
Here is one that is basted and two that are sewn on.


I love adding berries and cherries to quilts, they are whimsical and fun!

Later this week I'll post photos of quilts where berries are the main event.  Until then, happy stitching!
avandia lawsuit

21 comments:

peawink said...

Barb, that's *exactly* how I do my circles and it works like a charm every single time! I have re-used my papers once in a while (too lazy to cut more) without any obvious problems.

Lori said...

It just so happens I am making a few small circles for applique this week. I tried a few different methods and decided to just cut them and applique. If I am not happy with their roundness I'll go back to your method.

Lori said...

PS- Love the mini grandmothers flower garden!

Meredith said...

Well if you were sitting next to my husband he would have talked to you. The men in our lives seem to be well versed in quilting weather they want to or not. Like the blue urn/vase with the red. The little quilts are very cute.

Anonymous said...

I too make circles like that and the little quilt looks lovely on your table and how funny they started in the US, came to Australia and now they are back home.

Happy stitching
Christine

Thimbleanna said...

What a nice gift -- love those hexagons. Had to laugh about your story on the plane -- people just don't understand us quilters!

antique quilter said...

haven't tried making circles like that YET!
oh love the vase, really whimsical!
That was so sweet of Christine to send you that quilt, I love it!
looks great on your table.
Kathie

Karen said...

Your berries are indeed smooth & round. I have been using the Perfect Circle Maker. I thought I would end up with smooth and round using that but not always.

Sandra Henderson said...

I always learn so much when I come over to visit you~this is a great way to make the circles! wow!
I also love your four patch posie in your last post...
You go girls!

laurie said...

That's how I do berries also

Oh, so you don't like Wretched either. Weren't those hats last week amazing! So beautiful.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I completely agree with you on Project Runway!

Janet said...

Ok did I miss something? What is with the 8826? What a pretty table topper - it looks great on your table. That does look like a good way to make circles - funny story about the man on the plane :0) I can't wait to see your berry project.

julieQ said...

I have tried ironing down the edges of my circles, and they always have bumpies...thank you for this, and I am going to try it!!

Crispy said...

Hey, I've never tried those paper ones and leaving them in until it's almost all the way sewed down is brilliant. I'm trying your method on the next block with berries!!

What a wonderful table topper you received!!

I'm seeing the number 8971 between each paragraph of your post....blogger can be so goofy :0(

Crispy

Sue-Anne said...

GReat post Barb. I love your little table topper and thank you for the berry tutorial.

QuiltSue said...

What a lovely little topper to have been given.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You were given such a beautiful quilt. Thanks for the tips on making berries. The numbers are strange, but they don't show up on bloglines (which does say "avandia lawsuit" at the end for some strange reason.)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

The numbers I see are bigger, and they go up with each paragraph. The last one is 10909.

Ann Champion said...

What a fun little quilt! It's fun that it's reversible.
I've made berries this way from the cardboard from cereal and cracker boxes before. I guess I thought the light card stock wouldn't stand up to pulling the gathering thread tight? I'll have to give it a try!

Miriam said...

I like your idea of using light card.
I will try that next time.

Taryn said...

I love your two sided quilt and thanks for the refresher on circles. So, you like the starch? That's what I've always used but I see a lot about Mary Ellen's (whatever it is) and haven't tried it myself yet. Have you used it?