Friday, December 11, 2009

Cupcake Christmas

Last week we met at Susan's house for Cupcake Club. It was Hat Box Day. Not our current group project, the Hat Box Quilts, instead we covered Hat Boxes. We were delighted to see this project on Alma's blog; Blackbird Designs and we knew we had to try it. I hope Alma find this post, I wanted to send her an email, but can not locate an address. Her blog provided us with the instructions and inspiration!

Here we are getting our supplies ready.


We went to work on the box lids.

Here are views of Jill's lid. She used this pretty pink fabric and sweet bird paper for the lining which was copied from a file folder.



Susan used a copy from a childrens book.


Here is mine. I decided to use this George Washington fabric. I used a piece of scrapbook paper for the lining.


With the lids finished, we broke for lunch. Susan made beef vegetable soup, rolls and a delicious cucumber salad. How cute are Christmas cupcake napkins?


For dessert I brought gingerbread and Susan added Madeline cookies. I was in such a rush to dig in that the photo is out of focus, sorry.


After lunch we started the bottom of the hat boxes.

Here is Jill's:

And Susan's. She used a crazy quilt paper for the sides and a Swedish children's proverb on the bottom.


And I used copies of old photos. Jill and her friend, Mary Beth got me collecting this "homely" women photo cards. They are so funny. I think it's quite sad that they show up for pennies at flea markets. Who are these women?


And here are the hat boxes finished. Jill's is on top, mine on the bottom and Susan on the side. It took us most of the day, but we all feel it will go more quickly next time. I think they turned out beautifully!

I'm quite pleased with George and the ladies and look forward to filling it up. Maybe I'll store my old photo collection inside.

While waiting to get started, I took pictures of Susan's decorations. Her sun room looks so cheery with the icicle lights. She and her husband made all the wooden decorations on the windowsills.


Here are Susan's Mongolian Hats, from Mongolia, and a quilt in her front hall.

Susan's award winning quilt over a door.

And my favorite, these kitchy vintage door knob hangers - so cute!

And lastly, for no particular reason this hawk came for a visit in my Dogwood tree. I was talking to Mary at the time and took this photo through the back door. What a nice holiday visit, I see it as a good omen.

15 comments:

Mary said...

Wow - what a fun day! Your hat boxes turned out fantastic - love the fabric/paper choices. I'll have to try one. Lunch looks delicious and Susan's decorations tres festive. I miss you guys terribly!
Mary

Lori said...

I got a nneak peak of your covered hatboxes that Jill shared with me. I LOVE George Washington on the top of the lid. I've been wanting to do one of these, but it will have to wait until after the holidays. It looks like a wonderful day to share with friends.

Crispy said...

Great boxes, what a fun group project.

Crispy

antique quilter said...

the boxes look wonderful, very creative use of the photos , love the fabric choices ladies!

Love the sunroom, wow it would be nice to sit in there and read a book or quilt the day away!
Love her award winning quilt I remember the first time I saw it, I was star struck!

yes take it as a good omen

Alma Allen said...

Hi Barb,

Looks like you, Susan and Jill had a wonderful day. Your boxes turned out lovely. So glad I got to see these! Wish I could have been there with you. Great food too!

I linked your site to mine today

Happy Holidays!

Alma

Jan said...

What a fabulous post! The boxes are beautiful, as are the two quilts. I am coveting your room with all of the windows. Your decorating is just so pretty.

Diane said...

Great looking hat box project...and lunch...and decorations! Susan solved a decorating dilemma for me (no, not the kitchy door knob hangers). I have an antique quilt that I wanted to hang for Christmas, but never thought about draping it over the door. Thanks!

Barb, Your package arrived today. Mine, I fear, will be late.

Kathi D said...

I love the boxes! There is something about a pretty box that seems to appeal to everyone. And that house! So gorgeous!

Joy said...

What a fun time! The boxes are beautiful!

The Rabbit Factory said...

What a pleasure it was to read your blog today...so inspiring! Loved the boxes, the quilts, the Christmas decor and your visiting hawk...have a very happy holiday!

COUSON said...

Such beautifull boxes! & a beautifull busy day! Good realisations.Congratulations.Couson

Janet said...

They've all turned out so beautifully, they're all my favourites. I love the bird paper a lot. Lunch looked delicious, what a wonderful way to spend a day.

Karen said...

What a great variety of fabrics & papers for all the boxes. I have only made one but hope to make more later on.

Diane said...

Fabulous boxes. What a great project to do together.

Gail said...

What's going on? No posts in over six months?? What's up ... are you guys okay?
(I love your (past) stuff!)
XO Gail